Job Description (Please follow all instructions carefully)
Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates 03/25/2019 to 04/25/2019
Pay scale & grade
$81,548 to $106,012 per year
1 vacancy in the following location:
Washington, DC 1 vacancy
Relocation expenses reimbursed
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
United States Citizens or individuals lawfully admitted for permanent residency or authorized by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service to work in the United States.
The Staff Attorney position is located in the Legal Division of the Clerk’s Office in the District of Columbia Court of Appeals. Since the Court of Appeals is the only appellate court for the District and most matters are appealable to the Court of Appeals, its jurisdiction is broad and it hears agency appeals and appeals from the Superior Court, as well as matters in its original jurisdiction. The Staff Attorney works under the general direction of the Senior Staff Attorney.
Learn more about this agency
- Prepares legal memoranda on case dispositive and emergency motions, complex procedural motions, Bar discipline matters, original actions, and other miscellaneous matters.
- Performs legal analysis and issue identification of assigned matters.
- Screens new cases for jurisdiction and provide assistance to the Court’s judicial and non-legal staff.
- Drafts concise and well-reasoned memoranda that include an appropriate dispositional recommendation.
- Responds to inquiries from judicial officers, non-legal staff and inquiries from the public consistent with office policy.
- Conducts peer review of colleagues’ work, legal research on disciplinary matters and screening of new appeals for any jurisdictional defects.
- Responsible for special projects such as committee work, development and updating of training materials and informational materials for the public.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- A background and/or security investigation is required.
- This position is Excepted Service appointment.
To qualify for this position, the following must be submitted:
2. Completed Vacancy Questionnaire
3. Documentation /Proof of Education (e.g. copy of law school transcript or degree)
4. Proof of D.C. Bar membership in good standing or eligibility to waive into the D.C. Bar.
5. A legal writing sample that is not a form motion, not to exceed 10 pages, must be attached.
All required documentation must be received by the closing date of the announcement.
This position will be open until filled….Read More>>>