Job Description (Please follow all instructions carefully)
Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates 04/09/2019 to 04/15/2019
Pay scale & grade
$35,103 to $45,630 per year
1 vacancy in the following location:
Relocation expenses reimbursed
This job is open to
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Employee will be assigned to the Anatomic Pathology Section of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Service (PALMS) of the VA Healthcare System, Phoenix, AZ, providing transcription services and other clerical and administrative support to the section and other staff via various delivery methods.
Learn more about this agency
Duties include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Transcribes medical dictation from dictation cassette tapes, software, phone message or handwritten or typed form, which covers a wide range of medical specialties including surgical, autopsy, bone marrow, and cytology reports, etc., into written reports; may review and edit medical documents created using speech recognition technology; translates medical abbreviations and terminology into the appropriate long form; identifies inconsistencies, errors, and missing information within a report that could compromise patient care; and follows up with the pathologist(s) and/or applicable service staff member to ensure that reports are accurate.
- Prepares correspondence for pathologists, laboratory manager, and section supervisors; types up meeting minutes for section supervisors in proper format; serves as back-up timekeeper and front office assistant for the service; prepares the necessary paperwork for the issuance of pathology material outside Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Service; packages and addresses all correspondence for mailing; and scans and formats all outside reports; responds to phone and computer inquiries.
- Maintains a comprehensive vocabulary of medical terminology, anatomy, pharmacology, surgical procedures, and laboratory values; prepares necessary paperwork for autopsy per standard operating procedures; maintains file copies of all surgical, autopsy, bone marrow, and cytology reports for retention and binding, if required; enters supplementary reports into computer, notifies clinicians of diagnoses as necessary, and holds copies of all reports for retention and binding; and prepares final reports for signatures of pathologists.
- Enters all reports within established time frame; distributes released reports to appropriate locations; and ensures final typed surgical, autopsy, bone marrow, and cytology reports meet established medical, legal, accreditation, and organization requirements.
- Logs in and submits to the lab surgical/cytology/autopsy/bone marrow specimens; and performs other duties related to the position, as assigned.
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 4:30pm.
Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Job family (Series)
0303 Miscellaneous Clerk And Assistant
- Assistants, Office
- Office Assistants